R/C Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale: Part 4

Finally got the Delta Integrale completed today. I decided to add the Rally cockpit kit to the body to make it look much more realistic.

Added to the body really finished the car off…

Advertisements

R/C Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale: Part 3

Chassis

Unfortunately I got so into finishing the chassis I didn’t take many photos! It went together well and the wheels were easy enough to add although I want to take the hubs off and paint the brake discs chrome- they’ve gone to the trouble of moulding them so it would be nice to get them finished proper!

20160715_192154

Also, it never felt like the main gears meshed properly (was some slipping) so on closer reading of the instructions it turns out this model has a 19T gear on the motor not a 22T gear. Counting confirmed this and adjusting the motor mount as appropriate ensured the gears meshed properly now!

The speed controller was easy to set up but I ended up a bit confused- when you go from full forwards to full reverse the car doesn’t go backwards but if you then try reverse again it goes backwards. It seems that if you pull back on the throttle stick whilst the car’s moving it acts as a brake. If you then move the throttle to neutral and back again when the car is stationary it will move backwards.

Bodywork

Lots of fiddly stickers here. I did a lot of colour bodywork stickers before finding a great tip. If you use a hairdryer to gently heat the stickers and then use a pencil with the lead removed to press them down into the contours the stickers end up with a very good finished. I’ve messed up some of the stickers on the front wing but it looks fine unless you get really close up.

I provisionally painted the radiator black (primer) as it really brings the model alive but will be doing some more detailing here when I add the cockpit set (which I think it needs). Here it is pretty much finished and ready to go for a friend’s visit on Saturday!

20160727_214702

R/C Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale: Part 2

Adding the lower arms and bumpers

The next step was to add the front and rear lower arms and bumpers.

The front steering knuckles and drive shafts

Next I had to add the steering knuckles and driveshafts. This had to be carefully done as it contained small, fiddly fittings which had to be fitted the right way around to ensure the correct ride height (high for this model rather than standard). The screws were almost impossible to screw in with the screwdriver but a wrench is supplied and they are hex headed so all good there!

The rear knuckles and drive shafts

Turning the car around I fitted the rear knuckles and drive shafts…

 

Dampers

The dampers were next be done and they were a bit fiddly but not too difficult to get fitted.

Bodywork

Next for the body was using the PS-31 spray to tint the windows. However, I noticed that this paint reacted with the white enamel I’d used to touch up some of the white coat. Thankfully this will be under one of the stickers so shouldn’t be an issue.

 

 

R/C Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale: Part 1

My first foray into radio controlled model during childhood was a second hand Tamiya Manta Ray. However, I always wanted to build a car, new from kit myself. After looking around I settled on the Lancia Delta Integrale which is built on the TT-02 chassis.

Unboxing

The box is nicely done and everything is packaged up well. The documentation is very extensive with the only criticism being it’s tricky to pick out important information as everything has the original Japanese instructions next to it.

The Wheels

The first thing the Boy wanted to do was the wheels so he had the pleasure of fitting the hubs to the tyres. They’re very nicely moulded wheels to reproduce the alloy wheels of the original.

The Prop Shaft

The first stage is to fit the prop shaft to the chassis. This is a nicely designed piece of plastic which is light and yet strong in bending and torsion. It’s simply fixed using plastic bearings.

The Differentials

Although the stock diffs are made of plastic, they are a tough plastic and with some grease should be fine to transmit the power to the wheels.

Fitting the motor

This was easy enough to following but I am concerned that the motor gear is not really meshing with the main gear well enough. I think the best way to test this will be to run the motor and see how well the power is transmitted to the wheels.

Bodywork

The body in this kit is a nice clear polycarbonate moulding with lots of detail. It comes with plastic fittings for the wing mirrors, spoilers and headlamps/grille. The body also comes with a sheet of maskings so you can mask off the windows when you spray the shell white.

The initial prep went well with the body being sprayed solid white and I only had to touch up a couple of parts which the masking hid slightly.

Watch this space for the next part- getting the suspension and transmission to the wheels in place!