My friend, N. and I decided that it’s high time to get some serious Dropzone gaming in especially as we’d assembled our armies (largely) and I had assembled my Ruinscape scenery set.
N hosted our first, proper game on Friday 27th November and we aimed for Skirmish armies of 700-800 pts or so. We managed to get together armies of around 770 points (with 10pt difference) containing the following battlegroups:
My Army: UCM
- Command Battlegroup: Kodiak command vehicle (containing Squad Leader CV2) with Condor dropship
- Sabre & Falcon Battlegroup: 3x Sabre tanks + Condor dropship and 2x Falcon gunships
- Infantry Battlegroup: 2x Legionnaire squads (15 man each) + Bear APCs + Condor dropships
- Rapier Battlegroup: 3x Rapier tanks + Condor dropships
N’s Army: PHR
- Command Battlegroup: 2x Zeus walkers
- Walker Battlegroup: 2x Neptune dropships each containing 2x Ares walkers (one AA, one ground weapon)
- Infantry Battlegroup: 2x Immortal squads (10 man each)
We used a table just shy of 4 foot wide so ended up with a 6 foot by 3 foot area to game in and split the table length ways so as to avoid having to spend ages moving in the action. Buildings were scattered throughout with three large buildings on the centreline containing the three objectives to be captured.
The game commenced with me losing my Kodiak within the first turn or so as I’d placed it within clear site of N’s Zeus walkers. I also lost one of the Falcon gunships early on but my Rapiers proved good at taking out a dropship and (later) making short work of N’s infantry running across the battlefield. Conversely, my entire Sabre squad was picked off as I failed to move them into cover and I also lost two Rapiers in a similar way.
Objective-wise, N managed to secure the objective from the central building and get it into a Juno APC for getting off the table. Unfortunately, I dropped the ball and missed an opportunity to destroy this Juno and take the objective for myself so N. won 2 victory points. Conversely, I also managed to secure an objective in one of the other buildings in the last turn but was unable to remove it. The third building was a scene of some close quarters carnage with the dice firmly in my favour although the objective remained alusive.
All in all it was a great game and we’re looking forward to the next one.
N: 2pt vs. Me 1pt